Thursday, May 8, 2008

Remember, remember, some time in November.

Now that I've (re)started this blog it's just hit me that I'm going back on a lot of stuff. Things that happened months or weeks ago.
Well, here's another throwback in time.
Months ago (probably in November) my class had a substitute teacher. Now a lot of people would go without saying that a substitute teacher has to have some kind of problem. But this one had a lot of them.
He looked like one of those guys who worked out too much, and was going through a mid-life crisis at the same time. As soon as he walked in the room--sweatpants and all--I had a feeling that something was going to go wrong. And it did. During geography. If memory serves me right (and this isn't all of it), we were reading a part about NGOs (Non-governmental organizations) and human rights when he started to push his beliefs over on us. He ranted about how there is no such thing as child poverty. He rambled ad nauseum about how the UN is a horrible, terrible organization and all NGOs are, as well. He said that abortion was wrong.
And then I snapped.
I knew that it would cause some kind of uproar because I rarely speak up during class other than to answer some questions, but I had to do it. I had to put this misogynistic a**hole in his place. And I did, but the safe, Nerd way. By posing an argument and being intelligent about it.
It was one of the biggest rushes I had ever felt in my life. I could see his greasy face turning red when he ran out of defenses for being anti-choice and heard my classmates chuckling in the background and taking my side.
Ah, the feeling of triumph.

0 comments:

 
designed by suckmylolly.com